Who are we?
The National Drug Evidence Centre (NDEC) carries out epidemiological, evaluative and policy related research in the field of substance misuse, within the areas of health and criminal justice.
We welcome students working for higher degrees, e.g. PhD, in our fields of interest.
Our research is organised around the following themes:
- Epidemiological surveillance: a major national programme monitoring adults and young people who are in contact with drug and alcohol treatment services;
- Visualisation: the creation of knowledge exchange platforms that communicate complex results for policy and practice;
- Outcomes research: on-going analysis of the largest ever drug treatment cohort in the UK;
- Policy evaluation: assessment of impact following national introduction of payment by results pilot schemes;
- Prevalence estimation: utilisation of multi-indicator methods to assess prevalence;
- Health indicators: development of global indicators/ indices of urban health;
- Understanding of addiction harms: national integration of quantitative datasets.