Dr Søren Rud Kristensen BSc MSc PhD
Søren joined the Manchester Centre for Health Economics as a Research Fellow in Health Economics in May 2012. He earned an MSc in Economics (2008) and a PhD in Economics (2012) from the University of Southern Denmark. His doctoral studies were completed partly at the Centre of Health Economics Research at the University of Southern Denmark and at the governmental Danish Evaluation Institute for Local Governments (KREVI).
Søren is interested in the use and design of incentives for performance at the government, organisational, and individual level. His research takes point of departure in incentive theory and often uses microeconometric analyses of large data sets such as hospital episode statistics to empirically investigate the intended and unintended effects of different incentive designs.
While in Manchester, Søren has been involved in a project on resource allocation for mental health care in the English NHS, and projects on the use of financial incentives for improving provider quality, including the Commissioning for Quality and Innovation (CQUIN) scheme, and the Advancing Quality (AQ) scheme.
In 2013 Søren was awarded an Individual Postdoctoral Grant from The Danish Council for Independent Research | Social Sciences for the project "Efficient provision of organizational incentives in public procurement and regulation: Exploring reference-dependence and risk" (July 2013-Decmber 2015).
- Meacock, R., Anselmi, L., Kristensen, S., Doran, T., & Sutton, M. (2016). Higher mortality rates amongst emergency patients admitted to hospital at weekends reflect a lower probability of admission. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy. . Publication link: 939c2149-80f0-4208-9194-bacfb4840209
- Kristensen, S. R., Siciliani, L., & Sutton, M. (2015). Optimal Price-Setting in Pay for Performance Schemes in Health Care. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization. . Publication link: b51d1597-3d47-4f58-85d1-ebeb5d365332
- Søgaard, R., Kristensen, S. R., & Bech, M. (2015). Incentivising effort in governance of public hospitals: development of a delegation-based alternative to activity-based remuneration. Health Policy, In Press. . Publication link: 4101288e-ad6f-4673-9bf4-803518905b70
- Kristensen, S. R., Meacock, R., Turner, A. J., Boaden, R., McDonald, R., Roland, M., & Sutton, M. (2014). Long-Term Effect of Hospital Pay for Performance on Mortality in England. New England Journal of Medicine, 371(6), 540-548. DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa1400962. Publication link: 286cac0e-a3b2-425a-947e-9cb97d1dbd52
- Meacock, R., Kristensen, S., & Sutton, M. (2014). Paying for improvements in quality: recent experience in the NHS in England. Nordic Journal of Health Economics, 239-255. DOI:https://www.journals.uio.no/index.php/NJHE/article/view/794. Publication link: 3578dacd-015d-48e4-9ff5-05d983cf3424
- Roland, M., Sutton, M., Kristensen, S. R., Meacock, R., Turner, A., Boaden, R., & McDonald, R. (2014). Erratum: Does pay for performance in hospitals save lives (BMJ Quality and Safety (2014) 23 (349-50)). BMJ Quality and Safety, 23(5), 427. DOI:10.1136/bmjqs-2014-002893.7corr1. Publication link: 35769f42-2968-49f8-adef-1d09d49e2590
- Kristensen, S. R., Siciliani, L., & Sutton, M. (2014). Optimal Price-Setting in Pay for Performance Schemes in Health Care. (CEPR Discussion Papers; No. 9915).. Publication link: 6847f548-7294-4818-8173-3441aecdc3f2
- Kristensen, S. R., McDonald, R., & Sutton, M. (2013). Should pay-for-performance schemes be locally designed? Evidence from the Commissioning for Quality and Innovation (CQUIN) Framework.Journal of Health Services Research and Policy, 18(2), 38-49. . Publication link: bc7b22fd-b0bf-4ea3-91f8-abfc542e327c
- Kristensen, S., & Brown, S. (2013). Evaluation of the Commissioning for Quality and Innovation Framework Final Report.No publisher name.. Publication link: 34cd4778-a67d-45fc-a327-df3121545d1e
- Kristensen, S. R. (2013). Local targets for national objectives – Lessons from bottom-up design of Pay-for-Performance schemes. In host publication.. Publication link: 472f41c0-a143-43fe-86fe-bfd4719d14dd
- Kristensen, S. R., Siciliani, L., & Sutton, M. (2013). Price setting in pay for performance schemes: Theory and practice. In host publication.. Publication link: 8b482f30-37dc-4beb-bf37-548a255f4bc4
- Kristensen, S. R., Bech, M., & Lauridsen, J. T. (2013). Who to pay for performance? The choice of organisational level for hospital performance incentives. (Health Economics Papers; No. 5). Odense.. Publication link: 9981abfa-3530-47ae-9c8f-e95f7ca745b8
- Kristensen, S. R., Fe, E., Bech, M., & Mainz, J. (2013). Is the quality of hospital care price sensitive? Regression kink estimates from a volume dependent price setting scheme. (Health Economics Papers; No. 4). Odense.. Publication link: df09aa8f-2035-4b7f-a7f5-ef8ed29de5f3
- Kristensen, S. R. (2012). Performance Based Provider Reimbursement and Supply Side Incentives for Quality in Hospital Care University of Southern Denmark. Publication link: 7cd52e24-5790-47fd-81d2-da9a6edca7fc